Federal Way, WA asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law and Probate for Oregon

Q: I have a house on my dads property over 20 yrs..he died and my sister is executor..she is hurrying to sale .i need help

Am I expected to just walk away from my house and 5 acres with barn and shop to split with my sister? She wont talk and just wants to hurry and sell the property so she and her husband can move to another state...I even offered to pay off the minor debts left from my dad..and when I chose to live here after my sister was first offered the deal..it was known by my family that I would be able to stay and remain on the property keeping it in the family ...I was around to see both my mom and dad pass away and caring for both ..i have lost a lot in a short time including my son...i was injured in a work accident and on temporary disability ...i just need help on what i can do...i have my whole life here including my daughter and 2 granddaughters who now panicked and left thinking she didn't want to deal with changing schools ....anyway I paid for my house and developed the land while taking care of my parents who lived in there own house...why should I lose half that investment to sister

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: It is not possible to give individualized advice without reviewing all of your individual facts and circumstances. However if your dad died without a will it is entirely possible that the house Is supposed to be distributed to you and your sister in equal shares. Most likely your best option to stay is to buy your sister’s 50% interest from her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.