Cantonment, FL asked in Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: I have a hearing on an order for temporary relief in my divorce case

I had representation until recently and my evidence is on lien and I have to regather my evidence as I just found out that prior counsel did not prepare or turn in my evidence needed for the judge in time for my hearing. Now I have nothing for my hearing and have missed a deadline I was not aware of to present evidence until losing my counsel suddenly. Opposing party objects to continuance when asked. Should I file one anyways hoping judge will delay my hearing in order for me to prepare? what are my options? The hearing is regarding issues directly effecting the safety of minors involved so having no chance to present the evidence would be detrimental to their safety

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You have nothing to lose by filing an emergency motion for continuance to allow you to seek new counsel-or to prepare your case for trial because you no longer have counsel.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.