Fort Worth, TX asked in Divorce and Child Support for Texas

Q: Getting a divorce in TX. Child support will begin in TX. Wife is now trying to start an assume case in Puerto Rico

I’ve been separated from my wife for many years. I reside in Texas and she and my daughters reside in Puerto Rico. We have two daughters together. I have been sending her child support via money gram (no order in place). I began divorce proceedings but she does not want to sign. Included in the divorce child support will begin through the state of Texas as I reside in Texas. Should I begin the serving process which would include Texas Child support involvement or wait to see if I really have a case started with Assume in Puerto Rico? I don’t want two child support orders, one in Texas and one in Puerto Rico.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rahlita D. Thornton
Rahlita D. Thornton
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Consult with your attorney and if you don’t have one employee one as these issues can become legally complicated real fast. Even lawyers have to sort through various facts to come up with a solution. Good luck. 888-343-4529.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.