Brighton, CO asked in Landlord - Tenant for Colorado

Q: I have a question about removing someone from my home.

I let a 17 year old move in because I was told his father kicked him out because he is gay. I found out he just left because he does not get along with his father. Can I kick him out immediately even though he has recieved mail here and my roommate doesn't care if he is here? We rent but I pay 2/3 and all of the utilities. He really was not suppose to move in but I felt sorry for him. He vapes and smokes pot in my house even though I have told him and all of his friends repeatedly there is no smoking of any kind in the house.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You can ask your tenant to leave or even entice him to move-out. But, if that fails, you'll need to proceed via the judicial eviction process which begins with legally enforceable notice. If you are unfamiliar I recommend that you contact an attorney to at least guide you through the process as you don't want to have to live with your tenant through the eviction process more than once!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.