Pompano Beach, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: My husband and I have separated by his request. If I move out of our house, can he claim that I abandoned our home?

We have been married 34 years before separation and live in Florida. We own the house together and I'm still living in the same home with him but separated, but i would like to live in my own apartment now. He said he would help me with rent since I am disabled and live on Social Security disability payments. I don't want a divorce but he said he will get one without me and I want to know if he can take my house away from me by claiming abandonment. Thank you for your help with this matter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr Eric Klein
Mr Eric Klein
  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: As Florida is a no-fault divorce state, Florida does not recognize abandonment as a fault ground for divorce. As such, if you were to abandon the marital residence, it could not be used against you in divorce proceedings. Further, he can go forward in the divorce without you even if you do not want the divorce, but you would still be entitled to your equitable share of the marital assets (including the house). I hope this helps. Good luck.

Opal Phiona Lee agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.