Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Pamela J. Fero Esq.
1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Divorce for Florida on
Q: I was adopted by father at birth and am getting divorced. Can I take back my birth name instead of my adopted name?

I can not find my adoption paper, This was back in 1964 and I have tried looking in every website for vital records in NYC.

Pamela J. Fero Esq.
Pamela J. Fero Esq. answered on Jan 11, 2018

I see no reason why you can't. The statutes allow for a person to have their name restored to a former name at the time of a divorce. I've never seen a judge ask for documentation as to the prior name, but I suppose it could happen.

(*This answer should not be construed as legal...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Florida on
Q: My son deceased, ex-girlfriend now married, her husband adopting my grandchildren. Legally my grandchildren still?

I have a close relationship with my grandchildren, ages 5 and 2.

Pamela J. Fero Esq.
Pamela J. Fero Esq. answered on Jan 11, 2018

Hello. Yes, your grandchildren are still your grandchildren, and they are entitled to some legal benefits. For instance, if you were to die intestate (without a will), they would still be considered your descendants and would be entitled to the same amount of inheritance (if any) as they would have... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.