Ingleside, TX asked in Criminal Law, Tax Law, Business Formation and Business Law for Texas

Q: How does a non-profit change leadership and what happens to the EIN when a new owner comes and the old leaves?

I am the founder of a Texas non-profit corporation (Corporated in the State of Texas) and also Chairman/CEO. I applied for the EIN being used under my own info (Name, SSN) on the IRS site. I’m stepping down completely from operations due to conflict of interest with the board and need help in how to transition. The Board I’m leaving behind does not keep track of the annual filings and will more than likely not file as required with IRS as most are members from other boards who have had their own 501 revoked and funds mismanaged. I don’t want to be associated with the organization in anyway and my concerns are the current exempt EIN being stuck to my name; of course my board said we don’t need a new EIN since I’ve done the paperwork for them to get 501 status but I read that EIN are not transferable. In addition, am I able to close our business bank account and have the Board and new officers reopen it.

1 Lawyer Answer
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
  • Tax Law Lawyer

A: Non-profits don't have owners. They a board of directors and officers. When you applied for the EIN you listed yourself as a responsible party that can be changed by filing a form 8822-B or by filing Form 990.

You can't establish a non-profit under your SSN so you may have an unqualified entity and need to file forms for a for profit entity and then convert.

Given that this situation is a huge mess I would hire a professional to make sure that you have no personal liability. The board should do the same.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.