Charlotte, NC asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina

Q: My mom's green card expires this year. what are the steps we should take to renew it and keep her legal in the US?

Her country of origin is Ukraine. She has been in the US for 20+ years. She was married and divorced in the US. She had two kids in the US in that same marriage. Her divorced husband (my father) was a US citizen and passed away in 2008. she received child support from him till 2008 and after received Social security funds after his death, up until my 18th birthday. She has been unemployed for many years now but rents an apartment and owns her car. her children are 20 and 21. i believe her passport from Ukraine is expired. what are the steps we should take next?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Allen C. Ladd
Allen C. Ladd
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC

A: She will file USCIS Form I-90. Go to for the form and read the instructions carefully. There is a filing fee and a possible exemption from the fee. Good luck. S'bogim!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.