Holly Springs, MS asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Mississippi

Q: What is the minimum charge for Mississippi (97-9-72(B))?

Officer randomly got behind me and cut on lights. After trying to figure out his intentions knowing I did nothing wrong I got scared and took off but once reality began to sink in I pulled over and stopped. He got me out of the car but never said why he was trying to stop me. No body was hurt and no damage was done. I bonded out and on my court date the judge said it's being bound to Grand jury. What am I facing here?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: It really depends. Since you said grand jury, that would mean that they are treating this as a felony, which means that they are alleging that you drove in a dangerous manner. If that is the case, you are looking at a max of 5 years in MDOC custody and a $5k fine. That being said, I'd be curious to see video footage of your driving, which a lawyer would be able to get through discovery.

I would highly encourage you to reach out to a criminal defense lawyer on this matter. Feel free to reach out to any lawyer on here by clicking the contact information next to their name. Most of us on here are happy to provide a free consult to see how we can help out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.