Park Ridge, IL asked in Estate Planning for Illinois

Q: A family member had a new will and POA made to change my aunt’s current one & she signed it against her wishes. Illegal?

The aunt had a nephew named as POA because her only daughter had died. The widowed son-in-law wanted control for his kids (the grandkids), so he had a lawyer make a new will and POA naming his kids. When she signed this new document she was distraught over her husband’s death and going thru many life changes. She is of sound mind and is angry they did this to her. In addition, they refuse to give her a copy of her own will and POA forms! I think this is totally illegal. I think she can do another will, put her nephew back as POA and state that the new papers supersede any previous. She feels she is stuck. Can she do new papers, without having access to the old, and will they be the legal documents in the end? Can the son-in-law get into legal trouble for having done this to an elderly person?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: Yes, she can do a new will revoking all prior wills and she can do a new POA revoking all prior POAs. She should also notify anyone in possession of the original or copies of the revoked POAs that they have been revoked. She should have an estate planning attorney help her with this to make sure it is done right.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.