Chicago, IL asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Illinois

Q: Can my grandmother sell a house in Puerto Rico that is willed out to me and my sister by my deceased grandfather.

Can she change his will and sell the house herself ? They only had one son, my father and he is deceased also.

2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: If the entire interest in the house was owned by your grandfather at the time of his death, and if he left it to you and your sister in his will, then it should already be titled in your name and your sister's name. If it is not, then either it was not in fact left to you and your sister or your grandfather's will has not been probated yet or it was never his to devise to you. In other words, this question cannot be answered without a lot more information, including a review of the condition of title at the time of your grandfather's death, his will, and any probate case that was administered. You should consult with a probate attorney in your area for help with this.

To answer one question with certainty, no, your grandmother cannot change your grandfather's will. Nobody can change another person's will while they are alive or after they are gone. However, that may not be what is happening here.

James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: This is a question you need to ask an attorney licensed to practice law in Puerto Rico.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.