Q: I won my personal injury case now what?

Hi! I won $178 000 in personal injury case. But there is no insurance. My lawyer closed the case and told me to contact collection lawyer or private investigator. So, I am kind of lost here. My lawyer didn’t take any money for his work since there is no money behind this judgment as he said. Defendant doesn’t have any insurance or own a home and it’s not very cooperative. How do I settle this with the defendant? I can understand monthly payments but how can I set this up? By myself? Hire someone? Who? Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Max Lavit Rosenberg
Max Lavit Rosenberg
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Stratford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: A collection attorney will likely work on contingency. That means they will only get paid if they collect and they will get a percentage of what they collect. My office regularly handles matters like this and would be happy to review the case. Please feel free to contact us to discuss this matter further. 203.870.6700

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.