Glendale Heights, IL asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: I would like to know the process of obtaining green card for my mom who has been living in the U.S for most of her life

I would like to obtain a green card for my mom who is currently living in the US. I am 25 and married. My mother has been in the US for more than a little more than 26 years. I would like to know the process and the possibilities of getting her a green card.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: Are you a US citizen? If so, then you may have a case. Discuss with counsel.

Drew Elesh
Drew Elesh
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Your mother may have entered the USA without inspection (ewi). If she did she will need a waiver.

To get the waiver approved she would need a qualifying relative such as USC spouse or LPR spouse or

Lawful permanent resident (LPR)/ U.S. citizen parent. So you would not be the qualifying relative for purposes of

the waiver.

So if she entered ewi it is insufficient to have a U.S. citizen son or daughter apply with form I-130. In addition

she would need a qualifying relative as explained in the above paragraph. You can make an appointment so

we can explain more details of the waiver process and the legal standard we must prove to USCIS to get the waiver granted. That is known as extreme hardship to the qualifying relative such as a parent or spouse.

Otherwise she would need a child in the U.S. military (military parole) or a U visa (victim of a qualifying crime).

If she was a victim of a serious crime we would need the police report to start the process with law enforcement.

Thank you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.