Burbank, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: My friends and i were stopped by police. I was nervous upon being questioned. They asked my name and i gave my nickname

I go by jay. My real name is Justin. I gave them my proper last name and birthday. I realized by mistake and informed them PRIOR to them searching for me. They had not found i gave false info, i simply realized my mistake and was honest with them before i was searched. They gave me and obstruction of an officer misdemeanor court appearance ticket. What’s going to happen to me. Will a judge hear what i say? Will it get tossed? I’m a college student with no priors of any kind: clean record. The cops were bad cops. One even joked about thinking i had a magazine clip for a gun in my pocket. Is my life really going to be affected by this ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed.

it is certainly not serious.

ask for a public defender IF THE DA FILES and tell him all this.......i bet it gets tosses based on what you have said.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.