Wake Forest, NC asked in DUI / DWI for North Carolina

Q: So my fiance was issued a DWI (the cop said he smelled alcohol on his breath) and that was almost 2 months ago. We had a

Court date but he wasnt called. Went to the clerk of court and they couldn't find the ticket in the system, said he probably didnt turn it in and gave him a new court date. What happens if he forsnt turn it in. And is there no rule or anything that the ticket needs to be turned in by the court date? They didnt breathalize. I believe they took blood at the hosptial. Edit: he had an accident but it was a 1 vehicle accident. He did contact a lawyer but they only had his registration citation. Not the DWI. So he didnt really know what to do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: There is a lot about your question that doesn't make sense. Typically, if blood is taken that means there was an accident. If the accident was serious enough the officer may not have yet served him with the citation which may explain it not being in the system (of course the more likely explanation is clerk or officer error). Basically, he needs to consult with a local DWI attorney now. He should have done that as soon as possible after the incident. Waiting and going to court himself was essentially an incredibly bad idea.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.