Chicago, IL asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Landlord - Tenant for Illinois

Q: Good afternoon: I have an issue with a landlord-tenant dispute in McHenry County.

A friend rented from a private house in McHenry County. There was an issue with monies owed but my friend has paid the back rent. There is no lease involved. The landlord had agreed to pay the utilities but did not and the water was shut off.

Conflict arose concerning the utility shut off, late fees and supposed back rent. My friend moved out of the house and left it in pristine condition. The landlord is now threatening to take him to court claiming that there is still monies owed.

1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You don't have an issue with the landlord, your friend does. He should contact an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.