Sterling Heights, MI asked in DUI / DWI for Michigan

Q: I’m on probation for a dwi and was set to do 96 hrs of community service and cannot because of my job, can I pay a fine?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Frank B. Ford
Frank B. Ford
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Dearborn Heights, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Normally you can't "buy" your way out of community service. A lot of courts look at community service as an alternative to giving a person time in jail, so they often see it like they have already given you a break by not putting you in jail. Talk with your probation officer and explain your problem and maybe they will give you a longer stretch of time to get the community service done, or some other alternative, but I think part of the idea is that they want to inconvenience you, by taking away some of your time, and it's less of an inconvenience to do community service than to do jail time. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford

Brent T. Geers and Tim Akpinar agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.