Walled Lake, MI asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: Ticket says speeding but officer told me impeding traffic

Hi, I got pulled over for speeding and the officer told me he wrote me up for impeding traffic so I don’t get points on my record, but in the ticket the charge still states speeding but he wrote impeding traffic in the comments section. He then said just let the court know it’s for impeding traffic. When I go to pay do I just say it’s impeding traffic and they’ll acknowledge it like the officer said, or do I need an informal hear to change the charge.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Frank B. Ford
Frank B. Ford
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Dearborn Heights, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If it says Speeding, in the area on the ticket, right below where it says, In Violation of (probably Local Ordinance), then the charge is speeding, and the notation of Impeding Traffic in the remarks section is not controlling. If you just pay the ticket, you will be paying for a speeding ticket. I doubt that the Clerks at the counter can do it, so yes, you will almost certainly need to request an Informal Hearing, as you suspect, to get an agreement to reduce the charge to Impeding Traffic, which does not carry points and does not go on your driving record if you take care of it on time. You can ask the Clerks, but they will probably tell you that you have to have a hearing. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.