Asked in Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: Can I legally make my adult son who lives with me get rid of his cat? And if not, how long would it take to evict him?

The cat has behavioral problems that don't endanger anyone but are annoying. My son does not pay rent. The cat belongs to him, the house belongs to me, and he gets his mail here. I have not yet decided to tell him the cat must leave but if I do I'm sure he will do anything to prevent it and he is not an unintelligent person and will probably know his rights so I don't want to make my move without knowing the police will take my side. He has done nothing illegal.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen K. Hachey
Stephen K. Hachey
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If your son does not pay rent, you would need to file an unlawful detainer lawsuit.

Terrence H Thorgaard and Seril L Grossfeld agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.