Salt Lake City, UT asked in Family Law for Utah

Q: A non court ordered agreement of $900 a month for two kids. How do I go about changing that if she is not willing to

We have a non court order agreement of $900 a month for me the father to pay. Now the kids are old enough to stay home alone so they don't go to day care anymore and she makes about $700 more a month then I do. How should I go about changing that if she is not willing to and I think it is to much now days.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lane Wood
Lane Wood
  • St. George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Generally in a court order, child support and child care costs are 2 different things. Typically the court will order a monthly support amount and also include an order that you split all work related child care costs. It sounds like you agreed to a different arrangement where you made a monthly all inclusive payment.

As you indicated that the agreement is not a court order, I am also going to assume that there is no court order setting forth your parent-time schedule. The best way to address this would be to seek a court order setting forth both your time with the children and an appropriate child support order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.