Jonesboro, GA asked in Admiralty / Maritime and Tax Law for Georgia

Q: I’m a resident of GA but work on a cruise ship full time (8 months of the year). Do I need to pay GA taxes?

They automatically take out federal taxes but since it’s office is based in Miami, they don’t take out any income tax.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Yes, your resident state will tax all your income worldwide.

Obviously you can still take foreign exclusionary or credits as allowed, but you will need to file a GA return and calculate tax owed.

I would contact HR and find out why tax is not being taken out and sent to GA.

They may not be aware of the requirements to register as a foreign entity and setup an employment tax account in the states where they have employees or they just don't want to mess with it. Either way you're not going to be happy when you file your state return and you've got penalties and a large amount owed. I would try my best to be prepared for it.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Maritime Law Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: It might be worth taking a look at any crewing contracts you may have signed to see if they contain any provisions for the handling of taxes. Although these agreements tend to focus more on arbitration clauses for foreign forums and exclusion from U.S. court systems for cruise ship crew injuries, some of them are lengthy and could touch upon other issues. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.