Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Admiralty / Maritime legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Georgia Admiralty / Maritime Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Admiralty / Maritime for Georgia on
Q: Here in GEORGIA, what are the rules of giving notice to a defendant in the case of transcript reconstruction?

The court reporter failed to create record of plea hearing. Later, the prosecutor sent a proposed transcript to defendant. Defendant was given no certain time by which to respond. Nor was defendant made aware that the proposed transcript would become the true and official transcript if he did not... View More

Glenn T. Stern
Glenn T. Stern pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Apr 30, 2024

Under Georgia law, reconstructed transcripts are governed by OCGA §5-6-41(g), which states

"Where a trial is not reported as referred to in subsections (b) and (c) of this Code section or where for any other reason the transcript of the proceedings is not obtainable and a transcript...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Copyright and Admiralty / Maritime for Georgia on
Q: Hello what form do I need to present to an organization to take my strawman back after unknowingly entering in contract

I looked up a denial of rights of access form and was gonna just replace enlgland with USA and my name instead of address. Will this work?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 28, 2023

It isn't fully clear by what is meant by entering a contract unknowingly. At any rate, an attorney is probably going to want to see the contract you entered into. It sounds like you may have designated someone to act on your behalf in a contract or the formation of an entity, but that's... View More

3 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Admiralty / Maritime, Adoption and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Georgia on
Q: Do I need a high powered attorney?

I definitely need a high powered attorney

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Dec 24, 2021

It's difficult to answer the question based on the information in the post - Admiralty/Maritime is included as a category, and it would be good to have an attorney with insight into maritime law if the matter involves vessels or activities on navigable waters. But there are other categories as... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime and Tax Law for Georgia on
Q: If I live in GA but work on a cruise ship overseas 8 months of the year, can I claim part-year resident?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Feb 17, 2020

One option might be to look into the Q & A resources or online help resources of the IRS or Georgia Dept. of Revenue - they might be able to provide direction. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

2 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime and Tax Law for Georgia on
Q: I’m a resident of GA but work on a cruise ship full time (8 months of the year). Do I need to pay GA taxes?

They automatically take out federal taxes but since it’s office is based in Miami, they don’t take out any income tax.

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
answered on Jan 28, 2020

Yes, your resident state will tax all your income worldwide.

Obviously you can still take foreign exclusionary or credits as allowed, but you will need to file a GA return and calculate tax owed.

I would contact HR and find out why tax is not being taken out and sent to GA....
View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Georgia on
Q: A boating accident on Lake Lanier would be handled by the state, & on the Chattahochee River by Fed govt, correct?

I am a high schoolteacher in Georgia. I am teaching about federal, state, &concurrent jurisdiction in my Honors Government class. This is really beyond the scope of what I teach, but I like being able to provide some basic info. My understanding is that a passenger boat accident between 2... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Dec 3, 2019

You've chosen an interesting topic for students, but you go into many different directions. Framed the way it is, your assignment runs the possibility of confusing your students. Try to keep things on a level that high school students would be able to follow. For starters, look into the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Admiralty / Maritime for Georgia on
Q: How does a state have standing to bring a bill of indictment, without corpus delecti evidence?

The state prosecutor is not constitutionally permitted to bring charges of an invasion of rights allegedly suffered by a third party not before the court. He must claim an actual injury of harm directed at himself. This requires proof of an intentional invasion of a protected legal right caused by... View More

William C. Head
William C. Head pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Sep 7, 2017

Since 1972 in Georgia, corpus delicti has been allowed to be proven by circumstantial evidence. Go to trial, and see how the case comes out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.