Asked in Bankruptcy for Alabama

Q: My husband and I are filing chapter 13, will we be able to keep our tax refund? We are in Alabama, and have 4 children.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You can protect some or all of your tax refund, depending on your federal or state exemptions.

Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Loxley, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: If you owe the IRS for a prior year(s)' taxes, the IRS can offset your current post-bankruptcy filing tax return even though you are in a Chapter 13. Once they offset your tax return, they are required to amend their Proof of Claim in the Ch 13 case to lower the amount owed, based on the amount offset from your current tax return and applied to the prior year. If you do not have any prior year(s)' taxes due, it is possible that a child support agency can offset your tax return if you fall behind on current child support or spousal support ( "alimony") after the Chapter 13 case is filed. Other than those issues, in some Districts, the Chapter 13 can require you to turn over a portion of your income tax return ( Earned Income Credit is exempt in all cases) to apply to pay down your Chapter 13 Plan. Currently in the Southern District of Alabama ( Mobile AL), the Trustee does not demand a turnover of tax return funds on the basis that it is "ongoing future income" as some other Districts do .

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.