Newport News, VA asked in Divorce for Virginia

Q: Husband filed for divorce in August 2018 . I tried to file and was told he had 3 yrs proceed

He has since moved out of state and has had no contact. How can I let the courts know that he has no intention of going through with the divorce proceedings? I want to start the process myself.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James H. Wilson Jr.
James H. Wilson Jr.
  • Glen Allen, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Many lawyers advise their clients to file an Answer and Counterclaim for the very reasons illustrated by your situation. A defendant spouse can file a motion for leave of court to file a late answer and counterclaim due to the failure to prosecute the case by the plaintiff. You would do much better in your situation with the assistance of an experienced Virginia divorce lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.