Roselle, IL asked in Probate, Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Illinois

Q: My Mother and Grandfather were on the deed to the home. Both passed with not court recorded will.

My mother and Grandfather were on the deed to the home. Both passed over 7 years ago. My father-in-law (mother's husband by law) was not on the deed or successor and stayed in the home which was not an issue. He passed 10 months ago and the home is now vacant. My mother wrote her wishes down but did not file with any courts. My sister has raided the home and took items out. What recourse do we have regarding the home and possessions.

1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The answer to your question is far too long and complex for this means of communication. Make an appointment with a lawyer who handles estates. Bring all the documents you can find that are related to the situation to the appointment for the lawyer to review.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.