Tacoma, WA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Washington

Q: WA, if we agree on shared custody and she doesn't want child support can the court mandate it or allow our agreement

We're in ok terms and have been talking about a divorce for a while. She says she would want shared custody of our daughter, it's important for both to be a part of her life, but she says she would decline child support so we both have the means to take care of her when she's in our individual homes. Is that something that's allowed, or would the court not care and impose a child support payment on most likely me since I'm the father?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin R. Richardson
Kevin R. Richardson
  • Seattle, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: It can be allowed, but it depends greatly on both of your incomes and how a few other things are accounted for in your divorce. Long story short is the child support must be calculated by the court. However, there can be ways to get it to a zero net transfer if the facts of the case allow for it.

Contact an attorney. It sounds like it would be money well spent even if you have to pays a few hundred dollars to get the best information or to explain how child support may work in your case.

Remember, such things as tax planning or payment for other expenses may impact the calculations.

Good luck. -Kevin

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.