Las Vegas, NV asked in Civil Litigation for California

Q: My 14 year old son took a computer to his dad’s that wasn’t his to take and won’t return it.

My mother purchased a computer for my son to use at my house. It wasn’t working correctly so he asked if he could take it and work on it and bring it back. I don’t know how to fix it so I told him by this past Monday to have it back. He said fine. I also told his father. My mom told him repeatedly that it is never allowed at his dad’s house. He came over the other day since it wasn’t working right and asked me if he could take it and fix it and bring it back. He never returned it and said he never will. He said he came over with the intentions to take it and to never come back to my house again. My mom asked his dad and I asked his dad for it to be returned and he refused as well. My mom wants it back. It wasn’t a gift. It was bought for him to have a computer to use at my house. We used it as well. He is 14 years old. What legal recourse do we have here?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Franklin Klatt
Joseph Franklin Klatt
  • La Jolla, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Not much in a practical sense. You could file a small claims action, but that may not be worth the time, money, and effort it takes to go through the exercise of it all. Your best bet is to deal with the situation yourselves and work it out. I realize that may not be possible, but it is your best bet at a satisfactory outcome.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.