Flushing, NY asked in Elder Law for New York

Q: My adult son is intellectually disabled.Can I continue to get him medical treatment in NY without becoming his guardian?

From my understanding he is presumed to be capable of providing informed consent. It also looks like if it was ever determined that he can't provide informed consent, I would still be able to take him to doctor visits as per FHCDA or OPWDD law. Also, he lives with me and is 29.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It will depend upon the type and extent of his disability. If he is capable, he should sign a health care proxy. If he is incapable of making decisions for himself you should apply for Guardianship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.