Belleville, NJ asked in Tax Law and Real Estate Law for New Jersey

Q: What kind of year-end statement is needed for rental income?

I receive rental income from a property to which I am one of the heirs. Another one of the heirs is acting as the administrator and sends me the money (check) every quarter. She only sends handwritten notes of how much each heir received. What type of statement can she prepare to send us so that we can use that for tax purposes? Is there a template for that? Does she even have to supply us and herself with that, or do we just report the amount and keep copies of the checks she sends us?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Englewood, CO

A: You probably have either a trust/estate or a partnership. So you should be receiving a k-1 from either a 1041 or a 1065.

You should get that looked at since not filing properly can create a lot of penalties.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.