Southport, NC asked in Child Support for North Carolina

Q: How do I get my boyfriend off of Child Support?He was filed for it when I began receiving workfirst. I no longer do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Bull
Adam Bull
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: First, if you are receiving any form of public assistance, food stamps, wic, HUD, you cannot terminate child support, because the state is entitled to recover those funds from the father so the taxpayers are not responsible for raising your child.

If you are not receiving any benefits, you can terminate child support, however child support technically is your child's right. It cost money to raise your child. Why wouldn't you want it?? If you dont need it, which I've never heard a parent say, then collect in and put it into savings for those unexpected expenses or college.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.