Longview, WA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Washington

Q: does the State of Washington allow for Post high school child support/college support? Child is 19, lives with me.

Going through divorce. spouse moved out. child is 19 and id like help with college money from soon to be ex spouse. how do i go about this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin R. Richardson
Kevin R. Richardson
  • Seattle, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Yes, but it depends on if the court still has jurisdiction over the child. More facts are needed and you should speak with an attorney. But the long story short is that if your current divorce was started before your child turned 18 or other emancipated, then the court likely has jurisdictions to order post High School support if it makes since under the facts of your case.

Please speak to an attorney directly. The basic rules for this type of support can be found at


I would not finalize your divorce case without getting a firm answer on the question you asked.

Best of luck. -Kevin

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.