Peabody, MA asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for Massachusetts

Q: Lots of resources for physical abuse, but what options do I have for psychological / legal abuse, slander & harassment?

Physical abuse victims have many resources, but what about those being harassed, slandered, stalked & tormented by a malicious sociopath? Sociopaths strategically execute their schemes covertly, staying “under the radar” which keeps them just inside the law so they avoid exposure & criminal charges. And with ample resources for lawyers, the court system is being used as a “weapon” by filing false allegations, lying & slandering in court documents, and dismantling my life piece-by-piece. This monster also possesses all my personal info (SS#, address history, employmt history, medical history, my family, finances, etc.). I have strong reason to believe she’s posing as me & obtaining personal records, but I have no way to concretely prove this. My life is a living hell & I lack resources to pay lawyers to deal with all the messes she keeps making. She won’t stop til I’m dead or homeless from legal fees. How would I go about changing my name & SS# & disappearing? Seems to be only option.

1 Lawyer Answer
William Barabino
William Barabino
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Medford, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Dear Questioner,

Thank you for your question.

Without knowing more specifics about your situation, I cannot give you direct legal guidance, but I would say that one option that may be available to you in Massachusetts is obtaining a Chapter 258A or Harassment Prevention order. These orders protect people who are being harassed, stalked, or sexually assaulted.

Typically, for conduct to qualify as harassment, it needs to have occurred on three or more occasions and:

1. Was wilful and malicious

2. Aimed at you

3. Intended to cause you fear, intimidation, abuse, or damage to property

4. Actually caused you fear, intimidation, abuse, or damage to property

To get a harassment prevention order, the first step is to go to a court or police station to get all the necessary paperwork, which includes a complaint and forms about the plaintiff and the defendant. Once those forms are filed, you will appear in court with your attorney before a judge. The judge will make a decision on whether or not to issue the order.

The next court date will typically be about 10-days later, but could be sooner. During this next hearing the judge will listen to the evidence and decide if the order should continue to be in effect, be amended in some way, or be ended. At this hearing both the plaintiff and the defendant get to make their case.

If the judge grants the order, it will go into effect for up to one year.

I hope this has helped.



Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.