Ashburn, VA asked in Domestic Violence for Virginia

Q: My girlfriend & I got into a heated argument, she is now being charged with assault and battery.

One night, my girlfriend and I got into an argument, because she gave me her credit card to get juice, I ended up purchasing that along with a few items she wasn’t aware of. When she checked her bank she saw there was charges she didn’t recognize, as we drank alcohol she confronted me about it our argument got heated and the neighbors ended up calling the cops. Meanwhile we had a few drinks at this point and I came at her aggressively and put her to the ground to keep her quite in which her shirt ripped, she acted in self defense but at this point I had just recorded her “assaulting me” but it was self defense so when the cops showed up, me being tipsy I showed them the video, but the entire time I was telling the police she didn’t do anything and it was self defense and we just had a lot to drink now she is being charged with assault and battery. How can I explain this to court to where she doesn’t get charged or faces jail time if I pretty much came at her aggressively first. HELP!!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shemeka C Hankins
Shemeka C Hankins
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Unfortunately, you have put your girlfriend in at tough situation. In most jurisdictions in Va, the Commonwealth Attorney's office will be involved on the case if she was charged with assault and battery against a family member. This will apply if you are in a relationship and having been living together within the last year. The Commonwealth Attorney then has the ability to decide if they will go forward with the charges - you can talk to them and explain the situation and perhaps they will not go forward with the charges. If she is charged with simple assault and battery in the general district court and not in the juvenile and domestic relations court, you have more control over saying you do not want to go forward with the charge to the court. Either way in these situations, your gf should consult a local attorney about her rights and options as the defendant, many give free consultations.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.