Denver, CO asked in Immigration Law for Colorado

Q: My mother in law is eligible to apply for citizenship this year, she can’t read or speak English or her own language.

Is there a way to get an exemption to the citizenship test requirements. She has difficulty learning languages. Who do we get a professional evaluation to prove it? (Doctors or language pathologist?)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adan Vega
Adan Vega
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: If your relative is not able to qualify for an exemption based on age and the period of resident status then a FORM N-648 may be filed based on a medical certification for disability. The FORM N-648 must be signed by a medical physician, a clinical psychologist, or a doctor of osteopathy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.