Olympia, WA asked in Child Custody for Washington

Q: Can I get in trouble for letting my girlfriend stay at my parent's house?

I’m from Washington state and I’m 18. My girlfriend is from Maryland and is almost 17. She just ran away due to her household being unsafe for her to stay in. If I were to let her stay in my parent’s house, would I get in trouble? Would my parents get in trouble? Is there anything I could do to make it legal for her to stay with me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin R. Richardson
Kevin R. Richardson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Seattle, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: You did not share too many facts. And, more facts may change my answer, but the answer is basically no. What you can do is set up an appointment with an attorney or even call the local shelters, the YWCA, domestic violence organizations, or the local attorney Bar Association for some specific advice or referrals.

One question I have is do people now where she is and if she is safe? Law enforcement for example may be looking for her. I definitely want her to stay safe and there are resources to help, especially if she she was subject to domestic violence.

Best of luck to you.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.