Fort Worth, TX asked in Tax Law for Texas

Q: My 90 year old mother is a co-signer on my mortgage. How to take her off? Discovered tax lien her name.

When she migrated into skilled nursing, Going through her things discovered back tax notifications. Last year filled all her past taxes, one year had a problem. IRS won’t deal with me, asked my CPA to communicate, not very helpful. CPA said he would file something to at least stop additional penalties. I can’t refi ( I need to) or sell (don’t want). Is there a way for her to Quit Claim her interest to me?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Mr. J. Thomas Black
Mr. J. Thomas Black
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You should consult a tax resolution professional. Attorneys, CPA's and Enrolled Agents (EA's) are authorized to represent individuals before the IRS. But all of them do not practice in that area. You want someone that regularly handles IRS tax collection issues like this.

If there is already a notice of federal tax lien filed, it is likely too late to have your mom effectively transfer her interest in the house to you. It would still be subject to the tax lien, and you still wouldn't be able to sell or mortgage it without paying the lien.

Andrew M Steiger
Andrew M Steiger
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • St. Clair Shores, MI

A: You should consider hiring a tax attorney to review the facts surrounding your mother’s tax debt, whether the lien was properly placed on your property, and how to remove it. Transferring property to scrub a lien does not work. The lien follows the property until the tax is paid, generally by sale proceeds or other sources. If the tax debt is still outstanding, and if she does not have much in the way of assets to pay the debt, consider an offer in compromise for her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.