Bessemer, AL asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Alabama

Q: My sister abandoned her children

My sister moved to another state with her two younger children, age 12 & 16. She became homeless and could no longer afford to keep them. She dropped them off at her 22 year old home in Alabama. They were only was suppose to stay for the holidays. It’s been 4 months and she has not returned. They are not in school and they sister is not mentally or financially stable to continue to keep them. They still have conversations with they mom who doesn’t want to give up her parental rights. But she won’t come back to get them or try to send any paperwork to get them in school. The girls are having mental issues as well now and need counseling. The sister put them out because of the girls fighting her and her husband and now the 21 year old brother has them, still in Alabama. He lives in a boarding house, which they are all in one bedroom. They mother still won’t come get them. I am a concerned Aunt that wants to go about getting them the right way. What are my rights? What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jared Dale Vaughn
Jared Dale Vaughn
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Gadsden, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: This honestly sounds like a situation where you might want to consider getting the Department of Human Resources involved. Also, I would recommend consulting with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.