Indianapolis, IN asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Indiana

Q: No custody has been decided by a court. No judgments. Can she take my son to a different state against my wishes?

She filed for divorce in a county we do NOT have residence in (her mom and dad's home). She moved herself there with my son under the pretense that she would be seeing a specialist for his health and doing work while her parents babysit. I was more than taken by surprise by the divorce filing. What are my parental rights when nothing has even started besides her filing?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Mario Acosta Jr.
John Mario Acosta Jr.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Based on your question the residency requirement is 3 months in any county in the State of Indiana. You are still the biological parent and should have custody and parenting time. You need to seek counsel to address these matters.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.