Texarkana, TX asked in Child Support and Criminal Law for Texas

Q: How does Child support work if the non custodial parent is incarcerated in another state?

In order to continue to recieve my ebt benefits in arkansas (where our child was born and raised), I now have to file child support but the father is currently incarcerated in Iowa and has been since before our son was born. We were never married nor is his name is even on the birth certificate. When he gets out of prison, we are getting back together. Does he have to pay while in prison? because he only gets 10 dollars from his family a month. Or is it possible to avoid having to file child support on him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Your question is fundamentally about a benefits program in Arkansas so you'll get the most accurate answers from attorneys who are licensed in Arkansas. You should re-post your question but this time set your location to a city fully inside Arkansas and also add Family Law in the topic practice area and remove Criminal Law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.