Capitol Heights, MD asked in Probate for District of Columbia

Q: hello my mom passed in 2007 there was probate court now 11 years later my nephew is living in the house

he put his name on the deed even tho i am pretty sure i an next hier can i get the home back

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: Nobody can “put” himself and herself on a deed without the signature of at least one legal owners. It sounds like it is possible that you and your siblings inherited the house as tenants and common and then one of them either deeded his or her share to his or her child or is simply allowing that child to live there. If you are a co-owner you have the right to live there too. If that does not interest you, you could ask the other co-owners to buy you out. If they refuse you can go to court to force a sale. A real estate attorney can help you sort this out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.