Otis, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: Do i have to get a court ordered eviction if a renter has abandoned rental? Can i just take the place back???

Renter left house 1/26, left state 1/31 w/no notification. Late rent notice to be posted and mailed on 2/10 w/72 hours given to comply. Can i just take my rental back on 2/14 without going to the county to file for an eviction? Renter texted me on 2/4 that she will not return to the state till 2 months from now. Help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Katherine Goodman
Katherine Goodman
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: IF the rental agreement requires your tenant to give actual notice to the landlord of an anticipated extended absence in excess of 7 days as permitted by Oregon law, ORS 90.340 and tenant willfully failed to do so you can recover actual damages. If your tenant as actually abandoned the dwelling unit you must make a reasonable effort to rent it for fair rental view. If you rent the unit for a term beginning before the expiration of the original tenant's expiration of the rental agreement, the rental agreement is terminated on the date of the new tenancy of the new tenant. Additionally, if you fail to make reasonable efforts to rent the unit at a fair rate or if you accept the abandonment as a surrender, the rental agreement with the original tenant is terminated by you on the date you knew or should have known about the abandonment. Which can limit the amount of damages you can receive

IF the tenant did leave any personal property/ belongings in the unit you are required by Oregon Law you are responsible for any of it that has been left. You should review ORS 90.425 to make sure that you are following the law in regard to any property that the tenant left. Thus, prior to storing, selling or disposing of tenant's personal property you must give a written notice to the tenant that must be personally delivered to the tenant or sent by first class mail addressed and mailed to tenant at: 1) the premises, 2) Any PO box held by the tenant and that you actually know about; AND 3) most recent forwarding address if provided by tenant or actually known to landlord. Please note that law was recently changed.

IF you are unsure about notice and dealing with the property, sending accounting paperwork, and making sure the property as been abandoned or surrender I would recommend talking with a local landlord and tenant attorney.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.