Knoxville, TN asked in Family Law and Adoption for Arizona

Q: No father present in any aspect of child's life. How to get adopted by stepfather?

My three year old son has never had his father in his life. He is not listed on the birth certificate & he has my last name. Father has never paid a dime in child support or provided any emotional or physical support. I will getting married soon and we are expecting another child. Can my husband adopt my son without contest or how would I go about allowing my son to finally have the father he deserves? Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Two things could complicate your attempts to have your fiance from adopting your eldest: if you were married to the sperm donor at conception, at birth, or anytime between; or paternity has been previously established. You are still going to have to explain to a judge why the male who was present at conception does not deserve to be the child's legal father. You should still serve notice on him when you file the adoption paperwork. You would be well-advised to hire an attorney to assist you with the paperwork and the argument in court.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.