Newington, CT asked in Traffic Tickets and Civil Rights for New Jersey

Q: Hello, I'm a Massachusetts driver who went and purchased a car in, New Jersey. On the way home I received summons2 appea

On the way home. I received two tickets. Can I hire a lawyer? To appear for me and waive my appearance for the second ticket that has no price.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The answer is it depends. In general if you hire a lawyer you may be able to avoid having to appear in court. However, that rule changes when you have a mandatory court appearance ticket. In that case a lawyer will need to convince the judge you don't need to come. And in cases such as DWI suspended license etcetera. It's a rarity to ever happen. Lastly if you don't appear in court, generally the sentence is not as good as if you did because the prosecutor knows that your attorney cannot try the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.