Seagoville, TX asked in Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: How do I obtain custody and what type of custody do I file for?

I am a women who has been with my wife for 14 yrs and married to her for 4yrs. We share a daughter who is biologically hers but I have been the primary parent since she was 8 months and she is now 15yrs old. We are divorcing and the daughter wants to reside with me. My wife is ok with it as I have been the one taking care of her. Her biological father has not ever really been present and is not on her birth certificate. What is the easiest and fastest way to obtain some type of rights or custody for school doctors etc. Also what exactly should I file for? If I dont want to take my wife's rights away?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Hire a custody lawyer. Before you divorce, the two of you could adopt then do a Consent Judgment for custody as part of your divorce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.