Jewett City, CT asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Connecticut

Q: What happens when an executor doesn't send out other's portions of an estate decided by probate?

My daughters father passes, his mother became executor at probate court here in CT. I recieved the proof of what money he had, what amount his mother was to be reimbursed and then for the remainder to be sent to my daughter. She has not sent it and probate court says they can not do anything else. What are my options to get my child what she is owed? My daughter was the sole beneficiary his mother only to be paid back funeral costs. I have called probate who has said all he had was a bank account and a check which would have been accessed by now by her. She was to personally send the remaining balance after paying herself back to my daughter. I have the copies stating of who gets what amount. It has been 9 months and she has yet to send anything

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Ann Subbloie
Linda Ann Subbloie
  • New Haven, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: It appears that you may not understand the probate process and that is okay. If your daughter is the beneficiary/heir to a sum of money she must be given the money. The probate court is the ultimate court of relief and has the power to make sure this happens. That is what the probate court is for. Maybe the process has not reached the point that the money is to be distributed. I really don't know since I don't have all the facts. My best advice is to talk to an attorney who is well versed in probate matters.

Nicole M. Camporeale agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.