Chicago, IL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Illinois

Q: 50/50 custody.

I plan on discussing with my lawyer when the time comes. I dont have the extra $ right now and because of the tender age of my daughter i know it will not happen. I just wanted to know if i keep up with everything and keep doing what im doing if my chances will be greater. I already know her mom will never just agree to it especially since that will deviate support drastically. But i take my responsibilities as a father very seriously and i want to see my child more than every other weekend when shes older. I asked her mom for extra time with my daughter and she told me if i agree to having childs last name hyphenated she would consider it. Basically using my innocent child as a bargaining chip to get what MOM wants not what is in the best interest of the child right now.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marilyn  Johnson
Marilyn Johnson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Orland Park, IL

A: You should continue to follow the parenting time schedule and to be actively involved in your child's life. You definitely should not agree to change your child's surname. Do not miss any parenting time, attend school functions and attend extracurricular activities. If you do that , it will help you when you petition the court for more parenting time. Also, make sure you are always current with child support payments and any other expenses you are responsible for.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.