Nanuet, NY asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for New York

Q: I've broken up with my live in partner and have signed a contract to purchase a boat ( loan in my name) .

He wants to pay me monthly for the loan on the boat as well as some credit card debt that I have on my card that's his.

Should I get this in writing, or is it too late. The boat has not been delivered yet and we are still on speaking terms.

Not sure if we will get back together and don't know what my legal obligations will be.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Definitely get it in writing. And if you cannot get out of this boat deal make sure you are on title. Otherwise you will have a debt and no boat.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.