Westminster, CO asked in Bankruptcy for Colorado

Q: In 2002 we filed for bankruptcy at which time all debt was dismissed including a home we rent to my inlaws.

We are now doing a refi on our PRIMARY home (not the rental) and the mortgage company we are using for the refi insists they must include the rental property as a debt even though, according to our bankruptcy records, it was dismissed. We have been voluntarily making payments on the property since 2002. Can the mortgage company do that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Get a copy of your 2002 bankruptcy and show the lender where it was listed and then discharged and that should resolve the problem.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.