Philadelphia, PA asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for New York

Q: My fiance and I recently split up when we were together I purchased and paid for a mobile home for us her name

Is on the title due to park regulations. She wants me to buy her out for 2000( roughly half purchase price). She did not put money into it or towards it. She is trying to tell me she will force me to sell the mobile home if I don't pay her 2000. I am the primary on the title and still live in the home she has moved out as of Feb. 1st. My question is.. can she force me to sell the home for me to pay her 2000?. Thank you for your time sincerely scott

1 Lawyer Answer
Mathew Paulose Jr.
Mathew Paulose Jr.
  • Bronxville, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Greetings. New York's heart balm act (Section 80-b of NY's Civil Rights Law) allows individuals to sue for return of property given to a fiance in contemplation of marriage. Common examples include return of an engagement ring, a house, a car, a fur coat, etc. The court will direct the fiance to return the property, or if the property is gone or otherwise unavailable, force the fiance to pay damages. One may be able to file suit pro se in civil court or small claims court, but having an attorney would make the process easier. Contact a good New York attorney today. Good luck. Note, this answer applies only if you are considering NY law; the answer does not address PA law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.