Asked in Criminal Law for Indiana

Q: What steps should I take if I am being accused of rape?

The accusations have escalated to my home address being posted online and I'm being threatened

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kurt Schnepper
Kurt Schnepper
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Evansville, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Do not give the police a statement, I cannot emphasis this enough. If you are contacted by law enforcement the only thing you say is "I want an Attorney" once those magic words are spoken you have invoked your right to counsel the 5th amendment and law enforcement cannot continue to question you unless you start talking voluntarily. Keep your mouth shut and hire an attorney or contact your local public defender.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.